What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers are wafer-thin shells made from either porcelain or a resin composite. They are bonded to the front surfaces of teeth to improve the appearance of tooth shape, colour, size and alignment.
When do we recommend dental veneers?
Dental veneers can assist in creating a straight, symmetrical, white smile. They can be an ideal solution for people wanting to improve the appearance of:
- discoloured teeth due to root canal treatment,
- stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride or the presence of large resin fillings
- worn down teeth
- chipped or broken teeth
- misaligned, uneven or irregularly shaped teeth
- teeth with unsightly gaps between them.
At Dentistry with Care Chatswood, we recommend both composite and porcelain veneers. Composite veneers are weaker but cheaper and less invasive than porcelain veneers. Only one appointment if required for composite veneers. However composite veneers are easier to chip and stain where porcelain veneers are stronger and stain resistant. Composite veneers will need ongoing maintenance.
What are the benefits of dental veneers?
Dental veneers offer cosmetic benefits to people wanting to improve the appearance of their teeth:
- they look like your own tooth enamel to create a natural looking smile
- bio-compatible material that gum tissue usually tolerates well
- minimal tooth shaping during fitting (we remove only around 0.5mm of enamel)
- fitting is a painless procedure, often needing no anaesthetic
- stain resistant
- do not require a separate or special cleaning routine
- often less expensive than other dental solutions for improving the appearance of teeth.
Veneers may not be a good choice if you:
- clench and grind your teeth
- have unhealthy, weakened teeth
- have an inadequate amount of existing enamel on the tooth surface.
The initial appointment with our friendly dentists will confirm your suitability.